Friday, April 25, 2008

What a difference a year makes



Imagine one year ago today, I told you that Phil Hughes, Ross Ohlendorf and Joba Chamberlain all pitched a couple of innings for the Yankees in a game on the previous night. First of all, you would be ecstatic that the young guns were getting a chance to shine. Next, you would wonder what crazy circumstances led to the pride of the farm turning into the core of the team. One thing would be certain - there is no way you come away from watching the game with those participants and have a sour taste in your mouth.

So, fast forward a year, and you know that all three of those guys DO play an integral role on the 2008 New York Yankees. All three pitched last night, and because of rain curtailing what should have been a bounce-back start for Phil, a terrible outing from Ohlendorf and a game-ending hit off of Joba, I am left feeling pretty bad about last night's game.

The White Sox should have been swept last night, but because Girardi was being justifiably careful with the very young Hughes, and because of a couple of disappointing outings from the other young guys, they let the sweep slip from their grasps.

We all pined for the Yankees to develop from within and have "home-grown talent" to root for again. Because of that, we'll have to take the good with the bad.

Talk about it in the NYYSI Forums!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my defense, I appear to be more effective in late-inning, close game situations than outings in which I'm expected to go multiple innings.

Granted, I have not earned the right to be a set-up-to-the-set-up man, but I'm a different pitcher when my mindset is that I'm going to have to do more than face three batters in a fresh inning.

Anonymous said...

I thought fake Yankees were supposed to be funny. Your comment was as boring as your picture, fake Ross O.

Anonymous said...

What am I, a fucking clown?

Anonymous said...

Nice blog

Hey don't forget to go here:

http://theropolitans.com/

SEO By Profit By Search India