Friday, May 15, 2009

Housekeeping Note: Commenting System Issues

No, we are not deleting anyone's comments. Once a certain number of comments are made on a post, Intense Debate, our commenting system is failing to show the comment on the page. I have no idea why this is happening, or when they will fix it, but you can read more about the issue here:

http://getsatisfaction.com/intensedebate/topics/comment_is_in_the_id_system_but_not_on_my_blog_post

Blogger's commenting system is so antiquated that I would hate to revert back to that. We'll have to monitor the situation closely.

I will copy/paste EVERY SINGLE COMMENT on the Trost post, after the jump (newest at the top, oldest at the botton. Enjoy...


Comment history for New Stadium Insider

Ross, Trost and levine were able to flawlessly pull this thing off because a lot of smart people fell for their BS. Sure, the odds are very good that both gentleman will be gone by year's end, but we all know the overhang of the right field upperdeck won't. Why not blame the Steinbrenner family? As far as I'm concerned George Steinbrenner's lasting legacy will be the demolition of a historical landmark.
  • 2 hours ago
Moshe.. I am reading this comment.. Is it not on the site?
  • 4 hours ago
No negative connotation was implied. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
  • 4 hours ago
I never defended either guy's way of going about things or said they deserve their jobs. i objected to people being happy that they may lose their jobs, and to the general perception that the Stadium is a disaster with a perk or two rather than a success with a few flaws.
  • 5 hours ago
I never defended either guy's way of going about things, nor did I say that they deserve to keep their jobs. I just said that it was a little bit mean to be happy that they might lose their jobs, and that the Stadium is not as bad as some are making it out to be, not by a long shot.
  • 5 hours ago
First off I'd like to say IT'S ABOUT FRIGGIN TIME! Fire these two bums get it over with it. Save some face.

This guy defending Trost must be his nephew or son or something....complete insanity to defend this jackass.
  • 5 hours ago
Moshe: My big problem with Trost is that one of the facets of his job is dealing with the media and, with some of the garbage that comes out of his mouth, he clearly has no clue how to do so. Is dealing with the media easy? No, but that's why he gets the big bucks. His attitude has constantly come across as, "Any fans complaining should be lucky we let them in the ballpark in the first place. We can sell every seat for $2,500." And even with that clearly not being the case, he still manages to remain smug. Notice there were no quotes from Trost in the announcement of the new batting-practice policy. I wonder why.
  • 6 hours ago
Marchand wasnt that off - delgado may out for the year
  • 6 hours ago
Referring to people who pay $95 a seat as "rich" really irks me too, as does using "rich" as negative connotation. I don't begrudge anyone for having money (if they act like a prick about it, that's another story.) If you boughta 41 game plan in $95 seats (2 tickets), it would cost you $7,790 for the tickets. Is that more than the average fan would be willing to pay for tickets? Sure. However, many people who live in New York, who are not "rich" by new York standards can afford to pay that amount. Plus, as you bring in more people to share in a plan as many do, the price goes down. Are the prices too high? Absolutely, but the argument that you have to be "rich" to sit in these seats is to me, not a credible one.
  • 6 hours ago
:D Yeah, dunno why that annoyed me so! Probably because I loathe the word "old"! There were probably a few minor things here and there too, nothing worth me getting riled up about really. Anyway, I still come here twice a day, so I guess I'm hooked, regardless. Keep it up! Your outlook and effort is greatly appreciated.
  • 6 hours ago
Great points.

By the way, the only time I recall you "not being my biggest fan" is when I referred to Phill Tozzi as a weird old guy! lol
  • 6 hours ago
That's fair. The thing about the exhaust fans though, that's not benefitting anybody. I'm pretty sure that they can alter them to blow in a different direction, but its not something they expected and is something they will try to fix. Also, I think a distinction needs to be made between "the rich" and "those willing to pay," Because I think those two are not necessarily synonymous. They tried to maximize revenue, hop[ing that people would be willing to pay. in some places they were right, in others they were not and need to make changes.
  • 7 hours ago
1. The biggest number of empty seats are RIGHT NEXT TO THE FIELD. Horrible. You can blame the ridiculous pricing for that. And if you think this isn't a big deal, then you're no fan of going to see your favorite baseball team in the flesh.

2. The grandstand is PUSHED AWAY from the action—and seriously detracts from the intimidation factor + sound compared to the old stadium.

3. The food options (especially compared to Citi Field) are serverely disappointing. This is THE YANKEES fer cryin' out loud.

4. That insanely ridiculously large screen in centerfield is akin to the egos of the upper management of this team—it's TOO MUCH.

5. Anyone who buys into the "we knew ahead of time there'd be architectural shadows because of the sports bar" claptrap is in serious need of a brain colonic. Who believes that shit???

This belief that "Baseball is a business, get over it" is specious at best. Just because "it's a money-making business" doesn't mean they shouldn't take ALL fans into consideration, and it doesn't mean they should talk down to the fans.

I'm a lifelong Yankees fans. I've had a plan of some sort there since 1995. There are certainly things they did right at the stadium—but the things they did wrong, they did BIG-TIME wrong. And, sorry Ross, but I've not been your biggest fan. But one thing we both agree on is Lonn and Levine are slowly killing the aura of the Yankees.
  • 7 hours ago
Moshe,

I think that many fans feel that the Yankees had a blank slate to create an awesome experience for all fans, not constrained by the old building, and therefore a lot of these problems should not have occurred. For instance, couldn't they have created something so that the exhaust fans did not make noise in the upper deck? It's not like they were restricted in what they could do. And at every step they chose catering to the rich instead of regular fans. This BP thing was just the latest manefestation of this attitude. No one is saying that EVERYTHING is wrong with the new place, just that there are a lot of things that should not have occurred in the first place.
  • 7 hours ago
It's cool to hate the new Stadium right now. People were prepared to be disappointed, and have spent MONTHS dissecting every last thing about it.

How can anybody remain even remotely objective on the Stadium as a whole when they've been tracking every last detail since the ground was broken?

That's how I went into the Stadium the first time, after having read blog after blog. My 2nd time, I enjoyed it much more, and think the 300 level is a great place to watch the game.

I'll be in 400 level tonight, and 200 level on Sunday. It's a beautiful stadium, people just aren't used to change and yes, there are some things that are wrong about it. Doesn't mean it has to consume you every time you walk in there.

It's different, the old Stadium is never coming back, the sooner we all accept that the better off we'll all be.
  • 7 hours ago
I'll tell you this. I'm willing to bet that 5 years down the line, when most of the controversies about the new Stadium have died down and it just becomes a place to watch a game, people will have a much more positive perspective on the park. Now, when everyone is shouting about every little thing, it just magnifies any flaws that there are.
  • 8 hours ago
I consider the seats in the outfield that are $95 per ticket for the rich.

I'm not talking about real or fake fans. I'm talking about catering a
stadium to the passers by instead of the lifeblood of the place. I was
always all about the added amenities, and I still enjoy some of them. That
being said, when you drill it down to which stadium offered a better
perspective for watching a game, it was the old Yankee Stadium, hands down.

As for the exhaust, the "open concourse" in the upper deck seems to cause
this problem. The concessions seem to be right under the grandstand seats
and instead of them blowing the smells away from the stadium, the loud fans
push the smells directly up, right into the grandstand seats above them.

Original Message:
-----------------
  • 8 hours ago
Where were the exhaust fans in the old stadium? And also, are you insinuating that those of us that cant afford season tickets are not real fans? If I go to 6-8 games a season, or even one, that makes me not a real fan? I dont get it, this idea that "the real fans" are effected but not anybody else. And how many seats are we talking about when we say "the rich?" How many Legends seats are there?
  • 8 hours ago
If the Moshe-Mickey beef was a rap battle, then Mickey would have just dropped the mike and walked off the stage triumphantly.
  • 8 hours ago
Moshe -

I went in there more excited than anyone about the new stadium. I had been
championing the efforts to build it for years. THAT is when I was naive.
Once I got into the place, it just felt WRONG to me, and it still does,
after 6 more trips to the place. Yes, there are kinks that need to be
worked out, but it will never be anything other than a generic HOC stadium.
Each trip back I actually find something else that I dislike, but I haven't
posted them since I know people like you will call me out as overly
negative. For example, I love that the upper deck is now mostly covered by
the frieze, but the aluminum "roof" is ugly, and it traps the crowd noise.
I often think the stadium is really rocking, but that aluminum "roof"
doesn't allow the noise to travel to the rest of the stadium. It is really
misleading, and it makes for things to almost get obnoxiously loud right
around you, even if the whole stadium isn't really rocking.

Further, I have finally noticed the exhaust fans that are seemingly
positioned right below/behind my seats in section 428, row 10. All game
long, I smell different foods cooking, and I hear the exhaust fan. I am not
as dramatic as others, claiming I can't hear the game, but it definitely is
background noise that I can do without.

Anyway, these are DESIGN flaws that aren't going to be fixed any time soon,
if ever, and they are the types of things that only the season ticket
holders will notice, because they are there every night. The place was
made for rich people, tourists, and other "gawkers," not the real fans.
  • 8 hours ago
Of course things were done for money. Quite frankly, you are naive if you think anything, in any stadium, is done for anything but the bottom line. That being said, most of the people I have spoken to have greatly enjoyed their time in the new Stadium. Most of the initial reviews in the media were positive, from a group that loves to kill the Yankees. Are there flaws? Certainly, the place is not perfect. But this idea that it is some sort of giant failure is silly in my eyes.
  • 8 hours ago
"The point is that all of my friends and people I know sit in the upper deck and bleachers, and every single one has said that their Stadium experience has been enhanced."

Either you don't know many people or I am about to pee in your corn flakes.

I sit in the Upper Deck, and I hate the new seats. And, as people know here, I'm in the first row in the Jim Beam Suite. I am about 45 feet further back from my old seats (also first row) and feel incredibly detached from the experience. And I was a HUGE proponent of a new Stadium.

You are flat-out naive if you think things were not done because of money.

Do me a favor. Name ONE thing where they sacrificed long or short-term financial gain for an enhanced customer experience. Even the scoreboard in centerfield, the most beautiful thing I've ever seen on video, is SO jammed with advertisements all around it that I can't even look at it without getting a headache.

Go ahead, I'll wait for your answer.
  • 8 hours ago
By the way, here is an interesting article from today's Wall Street
Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB12423403089082120...
  • 9 hours ago
I guess we run in different circles. I agree that the bleachers are a HUGE
improvement, but I don't know anyone who thinks the recessed upper deck is
an improvement, aside from people who were scared of the steep
incline/height of the old upper deck.

While I agree that I am critical, I am hardly one-sided. New Stadium
Insider is one of the few Yankees blogs that has had successful contact
with the Yankees media relations office/ spokespeople, and we are always
trying to get both sides of the story. When it comes to Lonn Trost, there
are two sides, but both of them are incompetent.

That being said, I love to hear the feedback regarding my coverage of
Yankee Stadium. I am usually pretty optimistic when it comes to the team
on the field, but I guess that isn't the case when it comes to the people
running the operations side of things.
  • 9 hours ago
Oh please. this just shows how one-sided your coverage is here. Ross, I love the blog, but you see things from one side. Anything positive in the new Stadium was apparently just an accidental result of money grabs. The point is that all of my friends and people I know sit in the upper deck and bleachers, and every single one has said that their Stadium experience has been enhanced.
  • 9 hours ago
By the way, opening up the bleachers to the rest of the stadium was as much
a money grab as it was anything else. There are different, high-priced
concessions spread throughout the stadium - why not let the peons spend
their cash if they are willing to take a walk?
  • 9 hours ago
A Lonn Trost apologist?!? Didn't know such a thing existed. Lonn Trost has
proven time and again that he is at best uninformed and at worst, a liar.
He is ill-equiped to run the greatest sports franchise in the world. Don't
cry for him - if he is fired, he will end up just fine.

Original Message:
-----------------
  • 9 hours ago
I'm just going to reiterate how much this whole thing makes me sick. Happy that someone is losing their job? Because they made a Stadium with some expensive seats? C'mon. Also, I had a thought this morning that I posted over at theyankeeuniverse.com if you want to read the whole thing, but the old park also had a section that was separated from the rest of the Stadium, with its own bathrooms, concessions, and entrance. It was called the bleachers. I much prefer this set up, where the rich pay more to be separate rather than the less advantaged "riff-raff" being separated to keep the rest of the customers happy.
  • 10 hours ago
I really really hope that this happens.
  • 10 hours ago
Bill Madden saved us all! To think, I was giving him credit for that great
piece, and now the fucker is taking all of the credit!
  • 10 hours ago
My guess is that, now the the funding has been secured and the new Stadium was built, Trost and Levine have outlived their usefulness. They were basically brought on to do this one thing and perhaps it's time the Steinbrenners showed them the door.

Thank God for heroes like Bill Madden (insert snicker here) or NONE of this would have ever come to light!

  • 11 hours ago
Take it with a grain of salt, earlier this week Marchand reported with absolutely no sourcing whatsover that Carlos Delgado would miss 2 months.

Still, would be nice if he got this one right. Trost and Levine are clowns.
SEO By Profit By Search India