Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The defense rests

Update (8/27 2:00 PM) - Rick Chandler over at Deadspin says it best:
New York can still win two of three in their final Red Sox homestand, but I wouldn't bet any of Tiger's money on it. New York is down 9 1/2 games to the Rays. And you come away from this getting a clearer picture of the Alex Rodriguez legacy in New York. Yeah, he often gets a raw deal, and expectations are unreasonably high. But every time he has a chance to beat down the demons, A-Rod seems to find a way to fail in spectacular fashion.
For A-Rod apologist like myself it has always been put up or shut up.

Of course, I have no bearing out the outcome, but A-Rod continues to not "put up" when it counts. Therefore, it is time for me to shut up.

Sadly, the "put up" times are the are the ones with the most people are watching. There is no denying A-Rod is a valuable player. However, it isn't worth defending him when the masses are against him and he fails in big spot after big spot, compounding the problem.

Two Jeterian double plays tonight mean that A-Rod is going to have to go on without my defense for a long time, maybe forever.

For those who know me, this is a huge moment.

I will continue to wear my #13 jersey since I am a loyal fan, but my days of frequenting the baseball-reference A-Rod page to quickly refute A-Rod bashing are over.



Talk about it in the NYYSI Forums!
SEO By Profit By Search India