Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Let the expectations begin...

I made a rare visit to a New York Newspaper's webpage this morning (I swore them off sometime this past summer). Unsurprisingly, there was an asinine poll waiting for me upon arrival:



What did I expect? A poll inquiring about his 2009 OBP? (For his career it is .378, but it has been above .400 the past 2). A poll about his OPS+? (For his career it is 134). Nope, the poll question is about how many home runs he'll mash in 2009 because chicks dig the long ball.

No pressure, Mark, but I voted for 51 or more. I know you have averaged 36 home runs per year over your 6-year career, and a few of those totals were aided by playing in the bandbox in Arlington. However, I saw a poll on NYDailyNews.com and it made me think you MUST be a home run hitter if they had that poll up there. Then, I remembered that you are a switch-hitter, so you'd definitely get a chance to take advantage of the short porch in right field. 2009 is going to be a memorable year, Mark. Don't let me down.

The results of this highly scientific poll. My vote for 51 or more likely skewed the results, as I doubt the sample size is very large during the holiday season. I will say that it appears the more educated readers are voting in the poll since it is heavily leaning in the range of Teixeira career average HR total. Realistically, I believe Tex will hit 29 HRs in 2009, but he will contribute in many other ways that will contribute wins to the Yankees.

Talk about it in the NYYSI Forums!
SEO By Profit By Search India