Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Mike Mussina - AL All-Star? I think not

I obviously have a history of being tough on Mike Mussina. However, if you know me personally, you will know that I have always believed that Mike Mussina has been UNDER-appreciated as a member of the New York Yankees. That debate aside, there is a new one brewing: should Mike Mussina be named to the 2008 AL All-Star team?

I have to admit, for the past month, I have been blinded by the win/loss record of Moose and Michael Kay's incessant babbling about the Mike Mussina renaissance. I figured if the guy has 12 wins at the break, how can he be denied a spot on the team? Then I realized, there is a lot more that goes into pitching and wins aren't exactly the best measure of who the best pitchers are. Here are some better measures and how Mike Mussina ranks:

His VORP is 94th in the American League among PITCHERS:

His ERA+ is 106, (can't find rankings, but he isn't anywhere close to the top). (he is 39th in ERA)

He is 10th in the AL in WHIP

He is 4th in the AL in K/BB

However, he is tied for the AL lead with 10 wins and we all know that is what anyone looks at.

So, who would I take before Mike Mussina on the All-Star team? Here are a few names:

Roy Halladay
Cliff Lee
Shawn Marcum
Scott Kazmir
Felix Hernandez
John Danks
C.C Sabathia

There is a derogatory nickname that has always floated around when discussing Mike Mussina - "Mr. Almost". If the for the AL All-Star game do the right thing, that moniker will certainly stick when considering Mike Mussina's 2008 All-Star game chances.

Talk about it in the NYYSI Forums!


The Mets Police said...

Are you kidding me? He'll be the starter. The game is at Yankee Stadium.

Anonymous said...

Musina is a hall of fame pitcher , with the credentials better thn halladay and comparable to those on Your list , he wont be Mr. Almost when the hall comes fr him,

SEO By Profit By Search India